FERS Special Supplement

FERS Special Supplement

When it comes to your FERS Retirement you must consider the three major aspects of your income including your:

  1. FERS Annuity Pension
  2. Thrift Savings Plan, Social Security Benefits
  3. FERS Special Supplement.


Simplifying FERS Special Supplement

I would like to simplify the FERS Special Supplement for you. Also known as the Special Retirement Supplement or SRS, it is designed to help bridge the income gap.  For those who retire before age 62, it will supplement your missing Social Security income, until a month before you reach age 62 and then stop. Since the SRS is not paid by Social Security, you do not have to start receiving benefits from Social Security at age 62. You may delay taking these benefits to help increase your future Social Security annuity.

We often hear can you start Social Security or FERS Special Supplement in the middle or end of year do to earning limits? (please see bottom of article for answer.)  To be eligible, you must have a normal immediate retirement, not an early retirement (MRA+10). This means you must have 30 years of creditable service and meet your MRA. Or, you can have 20 years of creditable service and be age 60.

You may be eligible if:

  • You retire voluntarily
  • On an Immediate Annuity
  • Annuity not reduced for age

You may still be eligible if you:

  • Retire involuntarily before attaining MRA
  • Because of a major reorganization
  • Reduction in force

You are not eligible if:

  • You receive a deferred annuity benefit
  • Disability benefit
  • Immediate MRA + 10 annuity benefit

You must be a FERS employee

You must retire on a full immediate retirement

You must have 25 years of creditable service under Special Provisions and be any age or have 20 years of creditable service under Special Provisions and be at least 50 years old. Even though you will be eligible for this benefit your FERS Special Supplement will not start until you reach your MRA.

This benefit will begin after the interim period of your retirement and typically takes two three months to start after you retire.

When it comes to your Social Security or FERS Special Supplement Benefits the first year you start these benefits there is a special Rule. The 2019 earning limit for 2019 is 17,640 annually or 1,470 a month of earned income everything over this amount you will result in $1 of their Social Security benefits withheld for every $2 in earned income in excess of $1,470 per month, or $17,640 per year. However, the special rule for the first year you start these benefits is a little different. Everything earned until the point you start drawing these benefits does not count towards the earnings limit for that year. At the point the benefit is started when this rule takes effect.


Still Confused?  Schedule a FREE Retirement Analysis

When it comes to retirement and your Retirement benefits it can be down right daunting.  Our specialist at GPIS can help you through the entire process.  For more information on your benefits and how they work now and into retirement and the options that can potentially have a huge impact on your retirement, contact us today to schedule your free retirement analysis.


Thrift Savings Plan investment limit to increase to $19,000 in 2019

The Internal Revenue Service announced cost of living adjustments affecting dollar limitations for pension plans and other retirement-related items for tax year 2019. The highlights include:

  • The contribution limit for employees who participate in the federal government’s Thrift Savings Plan, 401(k), 403(b), and most 457 plans increased from $18,500 to $19,000.
  • If you are 50 and over and participate in 401(k), 403(b), most 457 plans and the Thrift Savings Plan, your catch-up contribution limit remains unchanged at $6,000 for 2018.

Catch-up Contributions

With the end of the year quickly approaching, be sure to take advantage of catch-up contributions. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:

  • You can make your catch-up contribution at any time, but it has to be made by the end of the calendar year. You will have to create a new catch-up contribution election each year.
  • To get started making TSP catch check out the Catch-Up Contributions fact sheet on TSP.gov or watch the Catch-Up Contributions video on YouTube.To get started making TSP catch check out the Catch-Up Contributions fact sheet on TSP.gov or watch the Catch-Up Contributions video on YouTube.

Questions About Your Federal Benefits?

If you have questions about maximizing your federal benefits, schedule your free retirement analysis today. Each member of our expert staff has extensive background working with the federal government, federal employees, and retirement planning. GPIS’ top priority is making sure each federal employee retires with the peace of mind that comes from knowing they made the right decisions to plan ahead and maximize their retirement benefits. We’re here to help!

Don’t Forget to Schedule Your “Use or Lose” Annual Leave by November 24

This year federal employees need to schedule their “use or lose” annual leave by November 24, 2018.   Most employees can carry over a maximum of 240 hours of accrued annual leave.  “Use or Lose” annual leave are your excess annual leave hours.  This year all excess annual leave must be “used” by January 5, 2019 or they will “lose” it.

Leave Year Beginning and Ending Dates

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management’s website has additional information on annual leave beginning and ending dates through year 2020.  Below are the leave year dates for most federal employees:

Leave Year Leave Your Beginning Date Leave Year Ending Date Date for Scheduling “use or Lose” Annual Leave
2018 January 7, 2018 January 5, 2019 November 24, 2018
2019 January 6, 2018 January 4, 2020 November 23, 2019
2020 January 5, 2020 Januarys 2, 2021 November 21, 2020

Be sure and check with your agency to verify the beginning and ending dates for each leave year.

Free Retirement Analysis

If you have questions about your benefits and would like a FREE personal benefit review visit our website or call 866-201-7829.